Applying for the US CPA is often confusing because it’s a complicated process. There are many steps involved in becoming a US Certified Public Accountant.
This article will help you to navigate the application process for the US CPA exam step-by-step. Each state in the US has different steps, but all of them have some similarities.
The candidate should be able to get approved within five to six weeks in submitting the application and schedule the uniform CPA exam.
US CPA Salary in India: US Certified Public Accountants are more in demand across many industries. In India, the average salary of a US CPA is INR 9.25 LPA.
Let’s move right into knowing the step-by-step process of US CPA.
- Check US CPA Eligibility
- Send official transcripts to the state board
- Submit CPA Exam Fee
- Obtain Authorization to Test (ATT)
- Obtain Notice to Schedule (NTS)
- Schedule your US CPA Exam
- Pass the CPA Exam
1. Check US CPA Eligibility:
- The first step in the application process of the uniform US CPA exam is to determine whether you are qualified/eligible to take the exam or not.
- Each state sets different education requirements to sit for the uniform CPA exam. Most of the states require a bachelor’s degree in accounting or business with credit hour requirements and certain coursework.
- US CPA license which is awarded by all the 55 accountancy state boards (usually, the entire evaluation process and selection of state board will be outsourced to Simandhar Education and candidates just need to study well).
- International candidates need to clear the CPA exam within 3 years and fulfill certain requirements like:
- Pass all 4 CPA exams.
- Need to have 150 credits (Simandhar Education has a bridge course that will help you to get desired credits).
- Required to have one year of experience (It need not be under the supervision of CPA; Our lead instructor Mr. Sripal Jain who himself is a licensed US CPA holder can verify for you.
- The candidate has to pass the ethics exam.
2. Send official transcripts to the state board:
- Before filling out the actual application, you must have to send all your transcripts to the state board (you have to send all your school transcripts including community colleges, junior colleges, and universities that you attended).
- It’s really good to order all your transcripts from the colleges immediately after your graduation and send them to your state board. The state board will keep all the transcripts on file once they receive them.
3. Submit CPA exam fee:
- Once all your transcripts are submitted to your state board then you are allowed to fill out the actual CPA exam application. Usually, this is a short form that asks a bunch of education and personal questions.
- After filling this form, you have to send it with the CPA application fee.
- The CPA exam will be additional about $3,000.
- $1,000 for 4 CPA exam papers.
|CPA Exam Sections||Fees|
|Auditing and Attestation (AUD)||250 USD|
|Regulation (REG)||250 USD|
|Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)||250 USD|
|Financial Accounting and Reporting||250 USD|
- $225 is paid to the NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) evaluation.
- $1,500 is paid as international testing fees for 4 CPA papers (this fee is only for students who are writing the exams out of the US).
- $250 for the CPA application fee.
- Usually, the Becker training fee is INR 1.2L to 1.47L (in Indian currency).
4. Obtain Authorization to Test (ATT):
- After approving your application, the state board will issue an Authorization to Test (ATT). This document will allow you to sign up for the US CPA exam section in your state. Usually, it’s only good for 90 days, so you have to decide which CPA exam section you have to take first before it’s going to expire.
- After choosing the US CPA exam section, you have to log into your NASBA account and have to pay the CPA exam section fee. Most of the states charge the US CPA exam fee in the range of $180 to $250 per section.
- After paying your CPA exam fee, you have to wait for 3 to 4 weeks to get a Notice to Schedule (NTS).
5. Obtain Notice to Schedule (NTS):
- It takes almost 3 to 6 weeks to receive your NTS (Notice to Schedule) after applying for the US CPA exam.
- NTS is the legal document that allows you to sit for the uniform CPA exam.
- You can use this document to log into the Prometric website in order to schedule the CPA exam date.
6. Schedule your US CPA Exam:
- You can log into the Prometric testing center website and have to schedule the exam date. Besides, you need to have the exam section ID from the NTS and the testing location center where you wish to take the exam.
- Suppose, if you don’t know about the closest Prometric centers that are closest to you then you can search and it’s very easy.
- CPA Exam in India: You can take the CPA exam in India now.
- Prometric CPA Exam locations in India: US CPA Exam Centers are Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, and Trivandrum.
7. Pass the CPA Exam:
- On exam day, you ensure to bring two valid forms of ID and your NTS.
- You have to keep one thing in mind that your name on the ID must match your NTS. The Prometric test centers will not allow you to sit for the CPA exam with NTS and ID.
- Becker coupled with SImandhar Education is the best combination for your US CPA exam preparation.
- Simandhar Education and Becker ensure you get all-around attention and the CPA course syllabus/material that is needed for you to clear all the four CPA exams with flying colors
Hope you have found the complete details about the process of US CPA. The CPA exam is not as difficult as you think: There are only sections and it’s very easy to pass the exam. For further assistance about the US CPA exam, feel free to contact Simandhar Education @+91 7780273388